Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mid-December Post

“It is possible to be standing on one side of a door and perceive the world as a dark and lonely place, while on the other side of that very same door are countless people just waiting to lend support and cheer you on. All that is required is that you turn the knob.” Author Unknown

Challenging. That is the one word that sums up this experience and it can either imply a good thing or a not so good thing. I am determined to see this placement through no matter what! I have spent the past couple of days doing damage control but it is definitely paying off. There is a fantastic new Director of Education in Kamonyi District and the ideas proposed for January have me excited again about being here. Our housing issue is FINALLY getting some attention and we will be in a new house as soon as I, the ever-resourceful volunteer, find myself one?! Christmas holidays, right? The atmosphere in Gitarama is also improving, it was very different without Christi, Nathan, Moira and Michael but they are all returning in January, thank goodness.
My Kamonyi colleague Ernest, the one who has been there since the beginning and was the former charge of education, has a new role as sector head. I had a lovely conversation with him today and he was wearing the Che Guevara T-shirt I gave him when I thought he was leaving for good. I really hope to work with him again in January. It seemed for awhile that all the capacity building I had done evaporated with the removal of the Mayor, the Charge and the Director of Education but hope springs anew. Plans are in place for January and I’m definitely up for giving it all another go. I have never had an experience quite like this one as the circumstances make you feel like packing it in.. REGULARLY. But I am a persistent, some might say stubborn, goal-oriented redhead and I am going to make this work no matter what !! I have a vision of the end of my placement where I am doing a handover to the incoming methodologist and Kamonyi District, with all of its enthusiastic and in-need teachers will work with VSO for many years to come. What is that Adidas slogan? Impossible is nothing.
Have to rush home now as Art Club is this afternoon and I think we are making finger puppets. Karen and I are almost ready for Christmas, we have bought gifts for all of our art club participants, a few select neighbours and colleagues and are excited to be hosting a Holiday Party next week. Unfortunately, we both went to the doctor yesterday and are also playing host collectively to parasites, amoebas and giardia. Love you Rwanda, but wish you could provide us with a bit healthier of an environment L.
Gorillaz, Zanzibar and a detailed account of the charming 7 year old who spent 2 days watching one of my workshops from the window of the classroom are all forthcoming once I’m done at work- work which might finally, and hopefully, be organized enough to start experiencing a level of success in the placement. It will be a joyful season yet!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like VSO's advice and accommodation is not as it might be. While there are many challenges to living and working in rural Rwanda no doubt, VSO should enable you to avoid parasites, amoebas and guardia. Good to hear you will be moving, presumably to somewhere better.

    ReplyDelete