Monday, November 23, 2009

The Hokey Pokey was right!

That's what it's all about. So says the "Hokey Pokey", which for the record is a big hit with Rwandan teachers and also a good motto for life. Put your hand in the ring.. I've done so by finally planning, organizing and facilitating three amazing workshops for my three sectors in Kamonyi District. It only took six months to pull it all together. The best part is, the trainings went incredibly well and those 100 teachers will become my best means of advertisement within the District and at the Education Office. I am certain they are going to return to their schools and share the new methodologies they've acquired and then be asking: "When's Rebecca's next training?" I have so much more to tell you about the workshops and which activities worked and which flopped and about all that I've seen in the last few weeks- including MOUNTAIN GORILLAS in Virunga National Park and Stone Town in Zanzibar!! but I am running out of time at this Internet Cafe and life is beckoning me outside. The rain is letting up, there are the idyllic sidestreets with quaint shops, the open market on the beach, the marvellously wood-carved doors and portugese influenced architecture, the warm, embracing island air, the tortoises on that island over there waiting to see me tomorrow, the sunset I'll watch tonight- yes, I'm in Zanzibar right now! I can safely say that after several challenging months in a country not easy to live in (Rwanda) and my recent FOURTH bout of malaria this past weekend, I am going to indulge this week in doing next to nothing on my little holiday. Tomorrow I am turning 33 years old. I'm feeling contemplative but happy, eager but not anxious, loved and safe. I sometimes think about the future goals and yet to be experiences and wonder where I'll be a year from now but I think it will all work out in the end. Haha, I actually heard a salesguy today say "Hakuna Matata", yup "no problem". I hope everyone is well at home. Talk soon, Becky. Now... I've got to get my "shop on"..hee hee.

2 comments:

  1. It was 3:00 am 33 years ago. Great to be in a great place on a great day! Hello from Patty and Ruby too!
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful birthday today, Becky! We miss you over here and hope you have a great day!

    ccy

    ReplyDelete